The ROTOR 15 is a complete distillation system including all pumping, heating, vacuum generating and control equipment needed for single stage plant operation.
The small amount of floor space occupied by the unit helps make the ROTOR 15 a most attractive system. The conveniently located side mounted control center provides for setting, readout and control of operational parameters.
The ROTOR 15 is designed for throughputs up to 80 pounds/hr (36 kg/hr) depending on feed material characteristics.
The major advantages to be expected from the ROTOR 15 Molecular Still are:
1. High product percentage yield.
2. Elimination of color bodies.
3. Elimination of odor fractions.
4. Minimized thermal hazard (a necessity for heat sensitive compounds).
The ROTOR 15 is designed to continuously distill thermally sensitive compounds in the molecular weight at pressures from .050 Torr to Atmosphere
The advantage of this system is that material is spread on an exponentially increasing surface area and a low pressure (vacuum) with short residence time requiring less energy and reducing thermal hazards. Glass construction on the distillation chamber allows for easy viewing of the process as it occurs. Material is fed to the center of a rotating disk. As the material fills the center, the heavier molecules are thrown by centrifugal force to the outside at a faster rate than the lighter molecules. This gives the lighter molecules more time to absorb the heat energy and leave the surface. The surface area increases exponentially as material travels to the outside as compared to other of stills with linear surface area. The lower pressure developed by the vacuum pump, lowers the boiling point of the material. This combined with the exponentially increasing surface area, distills material at the most efficient rate per area of distilling surface. Thus, there is minimal time for decomposition.
Because Myers Spinning Disk Technology replaces the material on evaporator heated surface at rate of 8 to 10 times faster than Wiped Film and similar techniques, significantly less surface area is required.
All the readouts and controls are conveniently grouped in a control box mounted on the still. The system schematic on the panel of the control center allows the operator to easily follow process flow
The ROTOR 15 Control Center controls and displays the following:
- Actual and set point temperature of the rotor heater.
- Actual and set point temperature of the feed, residue and distillate lines
- Display of residue temperature leaving the rotor surface
- Rotor residue temperature.
- Pressure of the degasser.
- Pressure of the distillation zone.
- Switches with power on lights for vacuum pump and each motor.
The operator controls the process by setting the feedstock rate (How thick the material will be on the rotor) and the rotor heater temperature.
Equipment in Detail
The ROTOR 15 receives material from feed tank via a variable speed feed pump which controls the feed rate through system. From the feed pump the material passes to the distillation chamber. In the distillation chamber the material is introduced into the center of the heated spinning rotocone and is spread across the heated surface. By selection of the appropriate temperature and pressure combination part of the material will separate into a vapor phase, the distillate which is condensed on a water cooled surface and flows down the chamber walls and out to the distillate pump. The remaining material (residue) passes across the full surface of the Rotocone, is collected in a surrounding gutter and flows out of the chamber via the residue pump. On the exit of each pump is a non- return valve to isolate the distillation chamber from atmospheric pressure.
The distillation chamber is pumped by an oil sealed rotary vane pump with KF fittings for quick/easy maintenance.
System pressure is monitored at the distillation chamber.
- Additional Condensing Area Extra traps can be added to vacuum line in series with the trap in the vacuum line.
- Water Cooled Chamber walls (optional) Adds 8.1 square foot (0.75 m2)
- Trap collection vessels or gear pumps can be added to drain the traps while the ROTOR- 15 is running
- Stainless Steel Traps – Glass Liquid Nitrogen trap can be replaced with Stainless steel.
- Multi coolant Stainless steel insets can be installed in above traps.
- Stainless Steel Liquid Transfer Pumps
- Chilling System to replace liquid Nitrogen required for Traps
- Flow meter to Feed, Distillate and/or Residue Lines
Standard Items Provided on the ROTOR 15 Still
- Feed system: Three (3) variable speed pump gear pumps.
- Stainless steel vacuum manifolds with glass trap.
- Powder coated frame and mounting brackets
- Completely frame mounted
- Materials in contract with the process material are either 316 stainless steel or glass.
- SCR power regulators for Rotor heater, rotor feed line, residue removal line and distillate removal line.
- Stainless Steel tubing and check valves
- Rotary vacuum pump.
- Distillation chamber with Rotorcone.
User Provided Equipment
The ROTOR-15 is a very complete unit, hence the only external requirements in addition to power, low pressure air, and water are:
- Suitable heated storage tank for the Feed Stocks.
- Suitable tanks to collect Distillate and Residue.
- Suitable cooling media for trap.